Goals, Expectations, and Reality

I have continued to write everyday, but some of that writing is now in my journal instead of on the blog as it seemed a better venue. However, I wanted to share something I have been thinking about- goals. 

There are a number of goals I made when I was a younger person. I am a different person than when I made those goals, and the world has changed considerably since then too. Some have been postponed and others have altered. 

There are a few goals which have persisted for years though. Rather than share those goals, I thought I would share some of the things which have kept me on track with both the accomplished and long-standing goals. 

Motivation, or the "why," must be present for a goal to have any staying power.  Here, I am talking about how a goal is carried out on a daily basis. What makes you get out of bed? 

Personally, I struggle with depression and there are times when I could just lay down and never get up. However, I know how good I feel after I work out. I also know how much clearer I think after doing a work out. Usually, these things are my motivation for working out. 

The long term motivation of being healthier, having a healthy heart, and not becoming a couch potato all exist too, but they really are only things which help me to understand my goal better.  

Secondly, every goal I have ever accomplished has been broken into smaller goals. This is pretty common for people who achieve their goals. I'm sure I heard it when I was a younger person many places, but I'm not sure where. It's a theme. 

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. 

The third things is being realistic. If I had tried to run a 10K the first time I walked a 5K a few years ago, I would have probably given up immediately. I know my limits. I know when my body is sore from a workout and when I have pushed it too far. 

There is a reason most people encourage runners to only add 10%, at most, to their previous length. Staying within realistic limits helps us to know our capabilities.  Whether it is writing, running, or being fiscally conservative we are better able to repeat the activity when it is realistic. 

Next, celebrate victories. Find a way that fits with the goal and also keeps you excited about it.  One of the reason "cheat days" don't work well for most people on a diet or exercise plan is that they don't align with the goal.  

Maybe we should re-think our language and our practices if we feel the need to cheat in order to accomplish a goal. If the goal is to lose weight, then why not celebrate with small things you enjoy.  Celebrate with an appropriately sized piece of cake or other sweet. If it absolutely doesn't fit with your goal, it isn't worth the dissonance to go against your goal.

Finally, take time to assess and re-assess. Not everyone can afford a vacation or retreat.  However, almost everyone can do things like shut off distractions like television, video games, or social media. Take a break from these things and set aside time for yourself or you and your partner. 

Write down your goals. Write down accomplishments. See if there are areas you want to grow. Ask what it would take to grow. What are the realistic, daily steps which would get  me there? What is going to motivate me each day? How am I going to feel as I accomplish my goals and mini-goals? 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinomania - A Short Review

Listening

This is America