This - A Review of Michael Gungor's new Book.


In the same way writing about a song never fully shares the experience of hearing the song, writing about this particular book seems like it will be woefully inadequate. Maybe it is just the phase of life I am in, but there are parts of this book that reached me as few books have lately.

I received the book from my father in law while attending the Gungor concert at Hope College last Monday night (February 18th). It was a touching gift, and you could tell me father was excited to be there. Soren, who is ten now, immediately started to consume the book. There was nothing necessarily unusual about this as he has loved the song "Beautiful Things" since he was very young.  However, there were a few things that I immediately noticed about the book that drew me in.

First, Soren was making furtive glances at his mother and me while reading. Always means there might be something worth discussing in the text. Secondly, it quickly became clear we were among the first people outside of the publishing community and early release group to be able to purchase copies- always an advantage when you write about books. Third, the dust jacket was dull, but you could clearly see a vivid work underneath. The contrast intrigued me. Finally, I was already processing a lot of emotions as I had been reading about the Gungors and their ideological travels before this last tour. Those thoughts, plus the music was hitting me hard in the feels.

It also helped that Soren mentioned, "I know it's an adult book because he used the F-word, but can I still read it because I'm really interested." Well, there it was, now I had to read the book to review it for my own sanity with my persistent ten year old.

Part of the reason any review of this book would be woefully un-expressive is that it encompasses several genres. Really, it floats between them in a natural way as the book progresses. Allegory, poetry, prose, and sections of personal reflection all work together in what is meant to be a love letter. Is the letter written to me or you? Is it written to Michael Gungor? Yes, these are all true. 

Michael, who now self refers as Vishnu Dass or simply God, would like you and I to believe we are part of a cosmic one. If this sounds like something from Eastern Mysticicism, it is clearly influenced by the worldviews of Sufism, Taoism, Buddhism, and Hinduism. And just for good measure Christianity remains in the mix with some Islam and Judaism for flavor.  Although there are claims to the contrary, it reads like a primer for Eastern transcendental mysticism as a response to Christian fundamentalism with a healthy dose of science interpreted through these lenses. The author clearly wants to retain some framework for making sense of the world while simultaneously rejecting a dualist way of viewing the world. 

Within this milieu, he defends the idea of catastrophic suffering as part of the oneness.  Genocide, patriarchy, and destruction occur as part of the cosmic drama. Gungor (Vishnu Dass?) spends his time comparing the existence of such occurrences as a distraction for the cosmic divine in much the same way as the antagonist's drama of a movie. One particular example of his is that the suicides of Romeo and Juliet are bad when viewed on their own, but the work of the whole is good. Without this type of drama, he argues, the eternal would essentially get bored.  

What is most interesting to me about this argument is how it parallels the traditional defense of evil in some ways. Especially in light of his rejection of the Christian defense of God while encountering evil, it is odd for me that he would spend so much time explaining away evil.  What is odd is not that he is essentially saying evil isn't real, it is his case for something or everything being essentially good. This goodness is in the cosmic oneness itself. This argument fundamentally relies on hope and trust, and in this way it is the same argument as most arguments dealing with the problem of evil.  

Does this mean he is okay with with injustice and unjust systems? No, because these are myths which have no reason to control other myths. Maybe? Or, maybe these are self-deceptions within the cosmos which need to be shed? Does it sound confusing? It is a little.  

Vishnu Dass, or Michael Gungor, or Mitch, Mike- whatever you want to call him comes across as someone who has been hurt and hurt deeply. While traipsing through psychedelic experiences, being well-read, and caring about how contemporary science informs our view of the world, a strain is sung throughout the book. To me, it sounds like someone who desperately wants to find peace. It sounds like the song of someone who wants to care, but is tired of being hurt while trying to make sense of it all.

At one point, he tells the story of meeting a homeless women in Southern California. The woman is distraught as she asks him and Science Mike for a drink of water. He goes to a local McDonald's and purchases a bottle of water and gets some French fries. After returning to the women, he sees that she is ready to sleep near the beach. There are rats around. I won't spoil the ending, but suffice it to say that this story comes nearer the end of the book and feels more like a self-justification for feeling things without acting. Some people may see me as being uncharitable with this description . However, it's hard to see why else this section is included in the book. 

It's important to point out that this book includes a caveat about holding teachings too closely. From his point of view, it's only helpful if it's helpful. It's not trying to be something to be held too dearly, so any interpretation could be simultaneously agreed with and disagreed with. Maybe. 

I came away from reading this book with several thoughts, but three stick out to me the most.

1. Some people feel a need to solve everything. Or at least feel like they finally have a way of understanding the world that makes sense.  Christianity would do a lot better to hold onto tension in a truly unique way. I'm not sure this book holds onto to tension, but it certainly reminded me it is good not to know everything. 

2. There is an interesting argument about our worship of self and ego in the book.  As the author points out, Christians are often okay with doubting God but hold firmly to the idea of a self. Without the self, the whole system falls apart.  Later, there is an argument that we must fully love self to love other.  This argument, I think, implicitly comes closest to the truth all Christians could do better at- loving self and loving other people.  Many times we love an idea of ourselves or we love what we think will be a future version of ourselves. This is idolatry. 

3. Christianity separated from the here is and now is dangerous. It is idolatrous. It is mixed up in a world which creates division and rivalry. I am not calling for complete immanence in terms of politics, economics, or culture wars. 

I am saying we must be people of love.  

Michael and Lisa Gungor's music continues to play an important part in my life. This book has helped me to see a few things clearer. I hold to some things less tightly. In that respect, I appreciate the book. In others, I mourn for a man who seems to be deceived. 

Read it if you are willing to struggle through some thoughts, feelings, and experiences. If you aren't, I also understand.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinomania - A Short Review

Listening

This is America