A Brief Sabbath Post

My job requires me to work almost everyday of the week because of the type of work.   Today, I only had a few minutes of work, and I relished the small amount after how last week felt. On reflection, I was reminded how important a little bit of rest can be.

Here's a quick reminder of why rest is important:

1. Rest allows us to focus.
We can better do the things we need to do and stay on task when we take time to rest. Without rest, we can't learn and create new memories.

2. Rest gives us space to make the right decisions.
When we are hurried and tired, we make poor decisions. Rest gives us the mental and spiritual space to make better and better informed decisions.  

3. Rest is healthy.
Sleep is an important part of rest, don't leave it out. It helps you have a healthier heart. and It might help stave off things like Alzheimer's later in life.

4. Rest allows us to work better.
Most of us want to be more productive at work. Productivity can be a key sign of effectiveness, and it is something I definitely want more of in my life. Sometimes, we work against ourselves by working too much instead of working smart. Rest allows better output. 

5. Finally, rest is godly.
I'm not a sabbatarian, but I do think the story of the seven day week has some important insights for all people. God rested after six days of creation, not out of a lack of energy or potential, but for other reasons. Rest refuels us, allows us to enjoy our work, and gets us ready for what comes next. Rest makes room for reflection and better insight into all the busyness that we have been about for the week. If God chose to rest, we should too.

I hope your weekend was restful, or that you at least found some time this week to rest. I know I have appreciated my respite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinomania - A Short Review

Listening

This is America