Take a Step Back

As the news cycle continues to churn out this week, I would encourage you to take a step back.  Despite the presence of social media's intrusion into the everyday, 24 hours a day, we do not need to know what is going on in the world at all times.  To become better able to think through critical issues, it is essential to realize we all have bias and our immediate reactions are not necessarily the most helpful reactions.

Cognitive bias is an important part of who we are as humans (For an interesting Reformed view of apologetics making use of bias, see this article by Cornelius Van Til) Our experiences shape us and help us to filter the world so that we can make better sense of it.  However, those same experiences, memories, and ways of thinking about the world which allow us to make helpful snap judgments are also terrible at telling us if those judgments are correct, helpful, and truthful.

I have a bad temper at times. It is especially hard to keep my temper in check when I believed someone, including myself, has been unfairly wronged. There have been many times when I do not have all the facts, or my perception of a situation is wrong. My temper has led me astray at times. My perception was off. We have known for a long time that what we perceive may not actually be reality. So, why don't we apply this information to the news and social situations?
 Am I saying there isn't truth? Nope, I am saying our perception of truth may not always be right. Second, I am saying our initial reactions may not always be truthful, even to ourselves. Third, I am saying that processing information is an important step in evaluation. We must be willing to take a second, third, or however many looks at information and still be willing to concede we do not have the whole picture.

It's also helpful to step back from a situation to diffuse any emotional response we might have at that time. Emotions are complex, and we are never fully aware of all the sources they come as they present themselves. Emotions should be a part of our decision making process, but they should not define it.

Keep engaged with the news and current events, just remember to take a step back before you respond. Try to get the full account, more of the information, and don't be afraid to change your mind. It's actually a sign of intelligence.

Step back - become a better listener, processor, and communicator in the hurry of today's world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinomania - A Short Review

Listening

This is America