Interview with Rebecca McGee - Life Deserves to be Lived!


Today I have the pleasure of sharing an interview with a classmate from high school. As usual, our interactions happened through text online. We all have people we wish could have gotten to know better in high school and she is one of those people for me.

Rebecca McGee is a 36-year-old mom with a soon to be 12-year-old daughter.  She values family more than anything else. She kindly took time out of her week to work on this interview about some important issues.

Christopher: How would you tell your story?

Rebecca:  I was born in 1982 with Spina bifida (SB from here on out). At that time, they didn’t know I had SB until I was born. Nothing showed up on the sonogram.

I had a relatively “normal” child hood.  I went to school like my siblings and peers. I graduated high school in 2001. Gave birth to my daughter via c-section in 2007.

I have myelomeningocele form of SB. I do not walk.  Although I did (walk) when I was a kid with leg braces and a walker.

C: For those unfamiliar with SB, could you give us a brief overview of the condition?

R: The spinal cord doesn't form properly. It falls under the broader category of neural tube defects. The neural tube is the embryonic structure that eventually develops into the baby's brain and spinal cord and the tissues enclosing them.

Normally, the neural tube forms early in pregnancy, and it closes by the 28th day after conception. In babies with SB, a portion of the neural tube fails to develop or close properly, causing defects in the spinal cord and in the bones of the spine.
There are 4 types of SB: Myelomeningocele, meningocele, occulta and Rachischisis (sometimes known as complete spina bifida).

(For a more detailed introduction to Spina Bifida see here or here)

C: How has it affected your life personally?

R: Growing up, I had a lot of surgeries on my back and feet. I also underwent brain surgery to insert a shunt to drain the excess fluid from my brain due to hydrocephalus.

Other than surgeries, I had a normal childhood. I went to public school, graduating in 2001 from high school. Then, I went on to college in Greenville, IL for a year and a half.

My daughter was born in 2007. Doctors had told me I’d never have kids and if I did, I’d never carry to term. My daughter was born a healthy 6 lbs 3.5 oz and 19 inches long. She’ll be 12 on January 29th.

C: Abortion has recently forced its way back into public discussion.

Rather than stating my own views, I believe you may be better able to address the topic for two reasons:
You are woman with a child. Some physicians may recommend abortion for babies who have the same condition as you.

What would you like to say about the topic?

R: I think it’s horrible doctors are still giving a grim prognosis when diagnosing an unborn baby with SB. All children, regardless of disability, deserve a chance to grow and be loved.
C: Specifically, what do you think about the quality of life argument, i.e. that it is better to abort a baby than cause them to be born into a life of suffering?

R: No one knows the extent of disability until the baby is born and growing/developing.  They can’t possibly know when the baby is still in his or her mother’s womb.

Yes, the baby may have problems with mobility or bowel/bladder issues. But they are still a human!  Life is what you make it.

C: How does your faith impact your understanding of this issue?

R: I think my faith has held a big impact on how I feel about this. Life is what you make it.

My faith has helped a lot in understanding life and love.  

C: Why do you think it is important for people without disabilities to hear from people who
live with disabilities?

R: It’s important to hear from those living with disabilities because it teaches that life’s not always candy and rainbows.

There are crappy parts of life, whether disabled or not. Being disabled doesn’t always mean poor quality of life. I like to think I have a great quality of life.

C: Do you think there is a way we could improve our public discourse about related issues?

R: One way we can improve our public discourse is to NOT be afraid to talk about what may scare us or what makes us different.

C: Is there anything else you would like people to know?

R: Life is what you make it. If you go through life with a “poor me” attitude, yeah, your life is going to suck. Get out there.  Live life.



Rebecca with boyfriend Andy and daughter Vickie


Thanks so much Rebecca! I really appreciate you being willing to share your time and thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinomania - A Short Review

Listening

This is America