Being Intentional with Time

It's pizza night, and I'm ready to just hang out with my family. I'm hoping to sleep in tomorrow, work at least three hours, and then spend time studying to do a longer form blog post on Isaiah.  For tonight though, I thought I would share something I have been thinking about all week. Ways to be more intentional.

Here's how I define being intentional, or intentionality. An awareness of why and how you do the things you do so they are done with purpose. That's it. So, how I am trying to be more intentional?

1. Scheduling: I block out my day in 10-15 minute increments. Included in this is time for breaks from work and to schedule out my next day. I leave room for thing like travel, bathroom breaks, and just breaks from routine. On that note...

2. I take regular breaks from the things (like my online work) that don't give me joy but are necessary parts of my day. I used to just try to slog through 3-6 hours of work and it would often take me much longer. Lately, after scheduling breaks in my work, I actually find that I can get it done more effectively and in less time. Breaks are important.

3. Assessment- each week I look back on what I have done and see if it was effective or not. The mark of effectiveness is how well I achieved the goals I set up.

4. I make time for rest and people. These are essential for me. Without rest I wouldn't want to get in my daily workouts. I also get much crankier and less focused. My guess would be that most people underestimate the time for true rest they need. I'm not talking about vegging out in front of the television or phone. Those activities may seem restful, but they aren't restful for your eyeballs which sit right in front of your brain. Imagine all the light that is getting thrown through those doors and then right onto the front of your brain, that's not rest, that's just a mindless type of work.

5. Reading - at least ten pages a day from something new. It's not a lot, but it is something different. One of the marks of successful people is that they read every day. I don't generally consider myself successful, but it is something I aspire to in life, so I've included it in my daily practices.

6. Time for devotions. I am a Christian because I love Jesus. I know not all my friends and acquaintances are, but I make no apologies for my faith. I want my faith to be rich and authentic, so I spend a little time in devotions every day. Sometimes it is prayer, other times it is reading the Bible, sometimes it is a mix of journaling and prayer, or Lection Divina (which is a post for another day).

7. Physical workouts - this is one of the best things I have added in the last few years. When I was young, exercise came easy. Now that I am in my mid-thirties, exercise is something I could easily ignore. However, when I do ignore it I can almost immediately tell the difference. Exercise is an important part of wholeness and self-development. When I don't exercise, I am lethargic and less attentive to my surroundings.

These are just the few things coming to mind right now, but they are some of the important ones. I would love to hear from you about how you are intentional with your time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinomania - A Short Review

Listening

This is America