Short Book Review of "All is Grace: A Ragamuffin Memoir"

This was not my introduction to Brennan Manning. In my college years, I read The Ragamuffin Gospel. Although I enjoyed reading this book, I had never returned to it, although I had read The Furious Longing of God a few years ago.  After reading this book, I look forward to returning to both of these works and reading others.  

One of the things readily apparent to me was how different sections felt like they were written by different people. I am not clear on the entire process of how the book was finished, but it is clear his co-author (John Blase) had to step up and help at times. Manning was an alcoholic and he struggled to write and think clearly near the end of his life. The writing wasn't choppy, but it certainly flowed differently than if it had been entirely authored by one person. 

It must be my age, but I am more keenly aware of things like the passage of time, death, the effect of small choices and habits, and the constraints of communication in relationships. This book only seemed to highlight these areas in my own life. Although Manning related the major events and movements in his life, it was hard for me not to read between the lines and see my own hopes, regrets, and longings in the unspoken words. Like good jazz, the music was in the silence.

I came away with from the books with several distinct impressions. First, dreams are like little messages. Well, maybe the messages are not so little. My dreams both haunt and excite me at times. The experience can often be lonely. Somehow, I felt as if Manning were reaching out to tell me I am not alone in these experiences. Second, life is short. It is precious. This seems to be a recurring theme for me in recent years, but I couldn't escape it in this book. Third, messiness in theology and life simply does not scare me like it used to when I was more sure of myself.  Lastly, good writers read other writers regularly as they express themselves. It's worth being a part of my practices. 

Would I recommend this book? Part of me wants to say yes, without qualification. Another part of me wants to just set it aside and wait for someone to ask about it. Odd. Not even sure where that feeling comes from, except to say that I experienced a bit of jealousy when reading about the companionship he found with other men, both in his days as a priest and also after he started the group "The Notorious Sinners" who gathered for annual retreat. Maybe that is what it is- this book leaves me longing for the type of community wrote about from experience in this book. I want to recommend it, and also to have someone to recommend it to as a friend. Friendship is a key theme running its way through the pages. Eventually, we see this friendship is extended to us by the grace of God.  Even in his failing health, he could not help but be an evangelist. 

For those who are offended by such books (and those people certainly exist), I have little to say. For those who are intrigued by the idea of true friendship, maybe we can talk one day. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinomania - A Short Review

Listening

This is America